This tech guideline comes from our smaller Midnight Madness series, but all the info is the same. Should there be any event specific amendments, they will be noted along with that particular event. Please read thoroughly.
Drift drivers will first secure them selves a spot in the pits and once unloaded, take your car to the designated tech area. Your car must be Teched by a Staff member BEFORE you can enter the staging lanes. If you do not have a Tech Card when you arrive you must register at the booth to obtain one. Once you have your tech card, fill out your personal information on the top and find the Staff member in charge of Tech, usually Adam (borodrifter) or Sam (Spirtle) or Ryan McGowan. If and only if/when your car passes tech, you may then enter the staging lane to drift (as directed).
The staging lane may have two way traffic so keep your eyes open and do not speed in the pits/staging area. Keep an eye on the staff member running the Starting Line and wait for their signal to enter the course.
The staging lanes/paddock is restricted to Staff and Drivers/Passengers ONLY! NO EXCEPTIONS! DO NOT LOITER IN THE STAGING LANES. WE don't really care who you know or who you're there with, we don't want to clean up the mess when you get run down. You will be asked once to remove yourself.
Drivers who are Staged: DO NOT block the entrance to the pits and be sure to be alert for line movement.
All tech cards have a check list of requirements that must be met before your car can be driven at Midnight Madness, and must be checked BY A STAFF MEMBER! DO NOT take it up on you self to tech your own vehicle under any circumstances.
The following TECH RULES must be followed for your car to pass
1. Battery tie dows: YOU MUST HAVE THEM!
Factory or aftermarket battery tie downs must be in place and functional where ever your battery is placed. They should be strong enough to keep the battery in place and from tipping/spilling (even if you have a leak proof battery or solid cell) There is always the danger of it flying free of its respective housing and causing injury or damage. Your positive battery terminal must be covered even in the stock location with a oem style battery terminal cover.
1a. Battery Relocation: If the battery is moved from its stock location it may only be moved to the trunk (except Miatas) and it must be secured in a battery box.
If it is moved to the trunk it has to be secured with metal to the metal. No nylon or other such straps can hold your box in place and no zip-ties, bungies, etc. Bolts please!
The battery box can be any type of automotive or marine box wich can be had for $10 or $15 from Walmart or Autozone.
2. All lug nuts must be in place and tight. We will check them.
3. Hand/Emergency brake should at least hold the car in place. Hydro's are the exception but they must be free of major leaks, internal and external.
4. Ball joints and tie rods must be in good condition and free of excessive play.
5. Brake pedal must have firm pressure with low fade.
6. Tail lights and brake lights must work (especially for tandom runs), but we can make exceptions as this is not too critical.
7. Your seat(s) must be stable and properly secured in the car.
8. Seat-belts and Harnesses You must have functioning 3 point belts for all seats that hold drivers/passengers, or no less than a 3pt harness. The only exception would be a car that only came with lap belts or less.
9. Your car must be free of excessive fluid leaks.
10. All loose items must be removed from the interior of the car or secured under the seat or away from the driver. This goes for engine bay and under car also.
Please secure any loose itmes that could become hazardous to you, spectators or other drivers. Broken suspension parts must be replaced, not zip tied, but body panels (with in reason) can be held on with zip ties, etc.
Codes of Conduct on and off the track
Gateway has been very gracious to extend to us the opportunity we have before us. They have given us the area, the safety equipment and the coverage at very little cost to you. From here it is up to us and us alone to make it run better, faster and stronger. We are the ones who have the power to turn it into a more professional event for all to enjoy. We have very few and simple rules to follow and would appreciate your cooperation in following and enforcing these rules. They ensure that the night is fun, fair and safe (as safe as this shit can possibly be)
Please read carefully.
1. ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL IF YOU'RE DRIVING!!
We cannot stress enough the importance of this. If you are driving, and you are suspected, and/or found to be drinking you will be asked to hand over your wrist band and park your car.
2. Wrist Bands and Entry.
Drivers will receive a wrist band when they regsiter that allows them access to the course. This wrist band must be worn at all times.
2b. The staging areas are OFF LIMITS TO ALL NON-DRIVERS/STAFF/PROMOTERS.
We need to keep the staging lanes clear so we have no traffic jams or accidents. If you are not a driver or a staff member please stay out of the staging areas.
3. DO NOT Stage your car until you are teched in by a staff member.
4. Staging lane etiquette: When you line up be respectful of other drivers and keep an eye on the line. Keep your car moving!
Do not wander so far that people are forced to move around your car or wait.
Also pay attention to who ever is working the start gate. Proceed only when given the go-ahead, come in when you are called, and if they tell you to do something, please do it.
5. Tandem runs REQUIRE AN APPROVED CAGE! 4 point hoop with door bars are accepted (ask your tech guy).
6. Keep your arms, legs, heads, etc, in the car when drifting! No Kazama or Tarzan Rodeo Drifting
7. ONE LAP IS THE RULE. That includes your lap out of the gate.
If you fail to abide by this you will sit out a rotation and if you continue to ignore it you will be asked to leave.
8. GMP has asked that we keep our show relatively family friendly. Basically, don't be assholes.
Staff members are the bosses at the track. Respect them like they were your Mom or get beat down like they were your Dad.
If you have questions or need help find some one from operations: Sam, Steve or Adam (or otherwise indicated)
Note* We ask that you not park your Moms Taurus or whatever crap your drove in the pits. Please respect the drivers and give them their space to work.
Thank you and enjoi!!